BALADARSHAN is a network of South Indian social organizations involving
particularly disadvantaged women in crafts production.
BALADARSHAN has been founded by social workers
who were concerned in improving the livelihood of isolated women
and their children in Chennai slum areas. After setting-up producers groups in several slums, Baladarshan extended its partnership to many other organizations / producers' groups in South India.
To reduce the poverty and ensure a sustainable livelihood by providing trainings in handicrafts and job opportunities within the Fair Trade Principles.
- To train socially & economically marginalized community, especially downtrodden women, in handicrafts, directly or through partnerships established with different producers' groups / organizations.
- To provide the beneficiaries with fair paid and sustainable employment within good working conditions.
- To build self-esteem and confidence to the producers by enhancing and promoting their skills.
- To fight child labour and to insure education of the beneficiaries' children.
- To successfully implement marketing strategies to meet local and worldwide buyers demand by ensuring quality handcrafts realized by these producers.
- To provide livelihood and safe environment in term of housing, nutrition, health, education to the producers through social projects set up directly or in partnership with NGOs.
BALADARSHAN is member of the World Fair Trade Organization